Hi Fred,

I have been running my remote KAT500 for 3 CNY winters straight now without
any problems. My connection to the site (about 100 feet) is LMR400DB and
power (heavy duty extension cord) only. The communications is WiFi using a
Lantronics serial server talking to the KAT500 utility. I tried using
Ethernet for the communications but the noise and spurs were pretty bad. As
to your numbered questions:

1. I don't know as I have never tried or missed the AUX connection, but I
have also heard that other people have been successful with CAT5 or CAT6
cable.

2. I think having the serial connection to the KAT500 is very useful. Of
course it is essential if you don't have the AUX connection (I don't).

3. It  looks like I have about the same winter conditions as I do. My
enclosure is entirely open at the bottom and all cables come up here with a
drip loop. I have no heating system installed. If you think one is necessary
be sure to turn off during summer. BTW my installation is almost completely
shaded by heavy foliage in the summer. See a couple of pictures here:

http://ab2tc.com/

AB2TC - Knut

k6dgw wrote