If your primary concern is performance, the KX3 is your answer.

You should be able to find a QRP only K2 with ATU  for $600-700. An
equivalent KX2 will be over $1000.

I have a KX3 and a K2, but use the K2 as my base station and only rarely
use the KX3 at home. Something about a rig I have/can repair and maintain
myself that makes it appealing, and in day to day operations it doesn't
give up much to the KX3.

72
Chip
AE5KA