Thanks for all the discussion on the APF. I've got a technique now and I think
I can refine it into something useful.
vy 73,Dave N4KD

    On Saturday, February 6, 2016 8:02 AM, Chuck Guenther <charles9...@att.net>
wrote:

 I've been using APF in my K3 since it was in Beta testing.  I love it!
I've found it necessary to use both the shift and Fine tuning-- these
are not optional for effective use of APF.  I've been using macros to
engage and dis-engage the APF.

One reason I keep combing through the Elecraft Reflector postings is for
gems such as Brian's suggestion below.  There is always something new to
learn.  Thanks, Brian.
73,
Chuck  NI0C
KX1, K2-10, K3

Quote:

The technique I'm using with the APF also involves NR like so:

On an uncrowded band, set the DSP BW to 700 to 1000 Hz. If you have a roofing
filter in that range stay within it.

Turn on NR set to mF5-3 or there about. The wide BW helps the NR work well. The
"mix" mode lets a little unprocessed signal+noise through. This is a good weak
signal search mode.

When you find a signal you want to copy, turn on APF and peak it in the filter.
Fine tuning helps. There is little ringing because NR has reduced the noise
amplitude. You can decrease the DSP BW a little but the NR is more effective
with uncorrelated noise.

This technique has gotten me many pelts in the QRP Fox Hunts.

73,
Brian, K0DTJ

Message delivered to n...@bellsouth.net