Bernhard,

It's NOT common mode, it's the simple fact that the audio interface is a mess. The antenna on the roof transmitting high power is doing its job, putting a lot of RF in the shack. If it didn't (based on proxmiity), it would be a lousy antenna. The problem is that the interface (wiring plus electronics plus termination) does not reject RF because it fails to conform to fundamental principles that reject RF. That is, every cable must be a transmission line, every shield must be terminated at the shielding enclosure of the equipment at both ends, and every equipment chassis must have a short, fat, bond to every other equipment chassis. Yes, the signal is audio, but the interference is RF, and it takes proper transmission line techniques to reject that RF.

I have VERY limited experience with MicroHam, but the jumble of wires that I encountered with the MicroHam unit at W6OAT violated all principles of good engineering practice for operation in a high RF environment. It was nothing more than a multipin connector with a lot of wires soldered to that connector. Indeed, it would darn near impossible to do it right without starting from scratch withunit a properly made cable from the MicroHam unit to the radio, with each signal path having its own coaxial cable.

I have no idea if that describes ALL MicroHam units, but it does describe Rusty's. And don't ask the model number -- I was so disgusted by what I saw that I just rolled my eyes.

73, Jim K9YC