Am in the process of setting up K3s and would like advice on the pro/con
of using RS232 via interface (mKII) to computer or simply USB port to
computer. One pro is obvious to me, such as eliminating the Hydra cable
between my microHam MKII and rig. BTW, the mKII is great piece of "kit"
which I have had for over 8 years, first on Orion II then K3 #250. Never
an issue, always worked perfectly...kinda like an autopilot, one never
thinks about what it does, until it fails.

As a heavy equipment operator, B777/787 (instructor pilot) the A/P is
engaged after take off and the jet flies itself (via computer inputs) to
touchdown in LU land 9 hours later; a total A/P failure has never
happened in those aircraft, what with redundancy, but if it did, it
would be like 9 hours of operating a dxpedition with paper log and bug.

As CX7TT/CW7T, made over 30k Qs in 10 years on all modes but mostly cw
and RTTY. Even did 1st moon bounce with W7GJ from MT to CX. So now you
have an idea of what and how I operate...throw in a little PSK and WSJT.

Now, I have looked for info on Nabble so as to not invent the wheel, the
K3s manual and Fred, KE7X, excellent K3s/P3 manual, Ch 10 KIO3B which
shows the many variations to configure and setup. I am not an EE or
electronics technician, simply an appliance operator, so I need you guys
to keep it simple!

I would like to know exactly what would be sacrificed by the convenience
of using the USB to computer vs an external interface. So what are the
con(s)?

Thanks for reading.

73
Tom