The K3EXREF circuit is essentially a AFC (sort of) where a highly accurate 10-MHz reference is used to measure the frequency of the TCXO and send a frequency correction "word" to control the TCXO so that the error from 49.380 MHz is removed.

As I understand it this comparison is done about every 4-seconds. The TCXO drifts with temperature so it will definitely change when you first power on the K3. This drift will slow at some point and hover around a offset level (mine is about 49.380.080. The TCXO is actually tuned to correct from that so REF*CAL is only showing the amount of offset that is being corrected. Output of the TCXO is not 80-Hz high. It would be if the EXREF did not correct it.

I have the K3/10 so only have the 12w PA which does not add as much heat in transmit as the 100w PA. So that lessens the amount of temperature drift of the TCXO. The TCXO-3 is better than the std TCXO so the improvement the EXREF makes is better with it. On transmit on 28-MHz using the EXREF, I see approx. +/- 2 Hz frequency error with the TCXO-3. This is equivalent to 0.1 ppm. Without the EXREF my error is five time larger or about +/- 14 Hz.

There is still a slight amount of frequency drift since the TCXO is operating normally in between the times the 10-MHz reference checks and corrects frequency error. This explains why a small amount of drift still occurs vs what happens with a phase-locked oscillator. The result is that the frequency will appear to look like a ramp waveform over the 4-second interval between corrections.

The reason for choosing this form of frequency control is it preserves the excellent low phase noise of the K3. PLL are difficult to make with as low phase noise.

If any of this is incorrect, perhaps one of the Elecraft engineers will correct what I wrote.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: