Unfortunately I think I found the problem. A USB 3.0 port may have fried
both KXUSB cables. I found a 3rd KXUSB cable I had hiding in storage,
hooked it up to the KX3 and laptop and it worked immediately.

For anyone that got to this thread via search engine, here are some
symptoms:

Elecraft KX3 Utility v1.13.8.24

Activity Log:
Attempting to contact KX3 on port COM8 at 38400 bit/s
Attempting to contact KX3 on port COM8 at 19200 bit/s
Attempting to contact KX3 on port COM8 at 9600 bit/s
Attempting to contact KX3 on port COM8 at 4800 bit/s