Tom,

I use my KX3 for portable SOTA activation extensively.  I do not worry
with internal batteries and instead, use a LiFePO4 battery exclusively.
When I did my research a couple years ago, I came to the conclusion that
for my style of operating, LiFePO4 technology is superior to regular
Li-PO batteries when factors such as battery safety and KX3 safety
(terminal voltage output) are taken into consideration.  That said,
there are a number of vendors that supply such a battery that would be
suitable for use with the KX3, and you've already received one
recommendation from the list using LiFePO4 technology cells.  Here is my
recommendation.

http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-26650-battery-12-8v-6-6ah-84wh-20a-rate-in-aluminum-box-with-pcb-7-92.aspx

I decided on this model because the cells and charge controller are
housed in a extruded aluminum enclosure for extra safety and the bare
wire ends allowed me to configure it with powerpole connectors.
Additionally, the black plastic top to the enclosure is removable should
you ever have to go inside and replace the cells or the charge
controller.  I added powerpole connectors as to be able to plug the
battery into something like a rigrunner for a DC power distribution hub
for powering more than just the KX3 when in the field.  I have two years
so far on this pack with no problems to date.

I usually get two to three days of SOTA type operation out of this
battery when in field use.  If I am powering other power hungry devices
(charging my cell phone for example) simultaneously while using the KX3,
I can easily get a full day plus.  Just depends on how you operate and
what you intend to power besides the KX3.

Good luck
73 Dave N5XL