I was reading Jonathan Gottlieb's adventure wiring up an Heil Handi
Mic HM-IC and the 10 watts power out he saw when pressing the PTT.

I've been having some trouble checking in to the local 6m net
(complaints of distortion) when using my MD2 with my K2 and XV50.  I
had switched to using a Heil Proset and a foot switch which cured the
problem.  I did notice, however, that the power output with Heil
Proset was much lower than I saw with the MD2, so I increased the
compression to 3-1 and found that I was able to achieve full requested
power with the Proset.

After reading Jonathon's posts, I dug out the MD2 and did some further
investigations.  With the compression now at 3-1, I found that the MD2
would cause a steady 10 watt output as soon as I started to talk.

I have an indoor antenna (3rd floor apartment with severe
restrictions) so I know that I have RF in the shack.  I discovered,
though, that if I used the foot switch with the MD2 instead of the
built in switch, everything was FB.

Just for kicks, I left the foot switch plugged in to the mic cable and
used the PTT in the MD2.  Much to my surprise, it worked FB. As long
as I left the foot switch cable plugged in, the MD2 PTT works fine.
As soon as I unplug the foot switch cable, the MD2 PTT drives the K2
into full power as soon as I speak.

I'm pretty well convinced it's the RF in my shack that is the root
problem. However, I'm looking to see if there is something I can do
with the ALC circuit to overcome the difficulty.  Also, I thought
folks might like to know about this particular failure mode.