Yep, the NB icon is supposed to flash if the setting is overly aggressive.
I've seen mine do this on very rare occasions on my K3 when I had it set to
the very highest settings (both regular and DSP), though I've only seen it
once or twice.

So it's probably working. In fact, on just the right kind of noise, either
one set to the max can greatly _increase_ the noise level as seen on the S
meter. I've been able to use this, though, to pull out a weak signal in the
local noise on 30 meters. Here at home, 30 meters is unbelievably noisy
(probably the wall warts in the apartment) and if I really crank up the NB,
weak signals sound like 60HZ buzzes instead of tones. But they're actually a
lot more readable that way lol.

The DSP noise blanker is easier to discern as having an effect without
actual true noise to filter out than the other noise blanker. But if you
turn it all the way up to 7, you should still hear it altering even normal
band noise somewhat.

73,
LS
W5QD