I have been reading all of the posts discussing the differences between the
KX2 and KX3.  All sorts of things have been discussed referring to the
buying decision, what the KX2 does or doesn't do, etc.  I am a KX3 owner and
love that radio.  As a KX3 owner, here is how I see the buying decision to
add a KX2 radio.  When the KX3 came out, we all marveled at its size and
capabilities and couldn't wait to use it for SOTA and other hikes and biking
portable.  Now the KX2 is out much smaller with somewhat fewer capabilities
but still a great rig.

For me, the decision is a very simple one.  Would I be in situations hiking
where a radio smaller than the KX3 would be a benefit?  Considering what
else I might carry in a backpack to get to some operating location, how much
difference will a radio not quite half the size and 11 oz. lighter make the
overall load I am carrying?  If I am and carrying 20 lbs. in a pack, the
difference in weight is not much, and 20 lbs. isn't all that heavy.  The
heaver the pack, the less percentage wt. difference it makes.   For all
other applications, I would use the KX3.  It's so easy to get caught up in
the small size and great capabilities of the KX3.  The "new toy" syndrome
bites all of us, me included, however,  it really boils down to 11oz. and
not quite half the size for the capability tradeoffs between the two.

Of course if a person does not own a KX3 already, the buying decision is
different, but still involves size vs. capability tradeoffs and does the
smaller size really buy a person that much benefit when toting it up a
trail.  If cost is a consideration for a first time buyer, then the KX2 is
an amazing radio for its  price and portability!

73's

Terry, N7TB