Did you actually input "..--" or did you use the "|" vertical bar or "pipe"
symbol?  The "|" is mentioned in the K3 utility under CONFIG/Edit CW memories I
think. It works for RTTY, PSK and is not processed on CW so it had no effect on
CW. One set of messages works for all.
Also I noted you used the underscore instead of a dash. This might also be an
issue.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill