Neil,

I'm far from a hard core contester but enjoy DXCC, Field Day, etc. For me the best solution has been xlog along with hamlib & cwdaemon. I made a small NPN transistor-based circuit in an Altoids tin to do serial port based PTT keying for cwdaemon. (I picked up an Edgeport usb-to-serial converter on ebay for $20.) It's a simple set up and works well for my level of contesting.

It also has the advantage of keying any rig. I use it with my K1, though of course hamlib can't interact with that rig.

Good luck and 73,
Mike ab3ap