All I did in the past, was to:-

Create a new folder for it from my home folder.

Extract the contents of the downloaded archive to that folder.

Create a desktop launcher pointing to the executable.

Install curl (and it's dependancies.) Needed to download firmware from Elecraft's site.

$ sudo apt-get install curl

I was already a member of the "dialout" group, but you might need to join that group

$ sudo adduser <your username> dialout (Of course, sudo will ask for your password.)

Then log out, and log back in again.

After all that, it "just worked." Even with any of my generic USB<>Serial leads and homebrew cable, or the Elecraft USB<>KX3 lead.

The above worked well on Lubuntu, and Mint.   Both derivatives of Ubuntu.

73.

Dave G0WBX.