As for #2, I surmise their reasoning includes:

1. Higher energy density for greater capacity for a given size and weight
compared to other lithium chemistries
2. Safe when charged and discharged responsibly, ergo the charger specified
to go with it, protection circuitry within the battery pack, and KX2
shutdown with low voltage states. No doubt they expect ham radio licensees
to behave responsibly considering the knowledge they are expected to have.
3. The knowledge that lithium ion technology has a good safety record in
laptops and cell phones, despite the very rare but widely publicized
 instances of battery failures that are almost always the result of
improper charging or trauma.

Those that are still concerned have the option of using an external
battery, or cobbling together their own internal battery pack with the
chemistry of their choice. It wouldn't be hard.

Chip
AE5KA

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Jim H via Elecraft <elecraft@mailman.qth.net