I have been thinking that the receive audio from my K2 (#4314) was just
OK, especially on CW when compared to other rigs including a Drake R8
and a K1.  It's not terrible by any means, just not as good as it might
be.

Today I fed an S9 CW signal into Spectrogram and find that its third audio
harmonic is down approximately 10 dB from the fundamental.  The 5th,
7th, 9th, are down about 4 db sucessively from the next-lower odd
harmonic.

This is easier to see than to say:

   http://world.std.com/~rice/k2_harmonic_distortion_05.jpg

This is observed when driving headphones or speaker to a comfortable
listening level (red trace on the spectrogram above).  Decreasing
the RF or AF gain so that the audio level decreases ~30 dB (blue trace on
the spectrogram) eliminates the problem, but the signal is then too
faint to copy effectively.

The vertical red line is the center frquency of the widest CW filter
(1.2 kHz) set per N0SS's instructions.

AGC on/off and DSP on/off make no difference. It seems to be pretty
far downstream in the audio chain.

Sidetone audio behaves the same - no worse.

Is this level of harmonic distortion normal?  If not, what should I
look for to correct it?

Thanks and 73,

Ken Rice
K3VV