Can't answer your second question about the fans, but I initially thought that my K2 "just sounded 'nicer'" than my K3. It's not a huge difference, and I'm fairly deaf anyway, so I don't have a definitive, iron-clad answer but:

1. I usually use lightweight headphones [single narrow metal band] with the small foam covered phones on my K2 and a Heil Proset I got from Elecraft on my K3. When I finally tried the lightweight ones on the K3, the sound improved. I tried a very old Sony headset [1960's from a reel-to-reel recorder] and it too improved the sound, at least subjectively. The K2 sounded about the same with it. I've concluded that the radio-headphones are a system and the components work together.

2. Jim, K9YC, gave me some advice on the RXEQ, the most important of which was ... "go very slowly while adjusting it." Make a change, and then use it for awhile. That stopped my flailing around with it, and I found I could improve the audio quality noticeably. My current settings, which I haven't messed with in several years sort of roughly mirror the response of a couple of "programs" in my hearing aids. The differential gain achievable in the K3 RXEQ is much less than my hearing aids, but somehow, it smooths out the sound. [That's a technical term used by someone who doesn't really know what's happening. :-)]

My observations are mainly for narrow BW CW, I've listened some on sideband, but not enough to figure anything out. My K2 does not have DSP, and I've wondered if the less-square response of the crystal filter isn't part of the equation too. The K3 DSP seems like a brick wall at times. Maybe someone with a DSP K2 and a K3 has some observations.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016