Hi all,

I have a K3 & P3. I operate both locally on an HOA-stealth EFHW on the fence, and remote to W7RN. The P3 works at home, but not when I'm remote of course. Running at home on 80m, I see what appears to be an SMPS -- ramps up rapidly going up in frequency, then tails off, waterfall shows closely spaced signals that get closer higher in frequency. While my hearing is compromised from activities in my 20's, I honestly do not hear any change in noise as I tune across this. However, when I switch to ANT 2 which is open, it goes away.

When I'm remote to W7RN, the P3 shows +/-10 KHz span [which seems to be fixed], no signals [or course] and this same RFI signal on 80m. W7RN is 60 +/- km from me. The P3 doesn't really do anything when I'm in remote mode of course. This would suggest that the noise is getting into the P3 8MHz input, but ...

I do not see this noise on any other band which suggests it is NOT getting in at 8 MHz. 8 MHz is also a little high for such RFI.

I'm puzzled and I like to understand things. I don't care where the noise is originating, and I know how to find sources like that. I'm just trying to find an explanation for the behavior I see. Old Engineers don't like things they can't explain.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV
Washoe County DM09dn