I finally got around to replacing the IF crystals in my K2  S/N 1422 with
the new ones.  Thought I might pass along the process I used to accomplish
the mod.

1.  I have a simple hb crystal checker that I can feed into my counter, each
crystal was checked to make sure it was working.

2. I took a small file and roughed up the edges of the crystal where I was
going to solder the grounds on.

3. I took Tom's NOSS advice and soldered the grounds on before installing
the crystals.  Iron set to about 725 degrees, pretinned the ground leads and
tacked them on.

4. I rechecked the crystals with my crystal checker and they were all still
working fine.

5. Removed the KSB2 and installed my KSB2 rework eliminator

6. Removed the first old crystal and ground with my Soder Wick SC-5000
desoldering tool (very similar to a Hakko 808 desoldering gun).

7. Installed the first new crystal.

8. Powered up the K2 and checked to see if it was receiving signals.

9. Unplugged power to K2 and replaced next crystal.

10 Repeated steps 6 through 9 for all the crystals.

11. Realigned K2 filter

12.  Very pleased with results and wish I had done it sooner.

72,

Steve Ray K4JPN ex K1VKW
EM82ep Warner Robins GA
Elecraft K2 1422 & KPA-100