I installed solar panels on my roof last year, and have had no problems with
noise from them.

On the subject of Solar City, I will agee with Wes to stay away from that
company.    Initially, I contacted Solar City for a bid, and have to say I was
extremely disappointed with them.  First, they send out a young chick with a
sales pitch to beat the band, and to "evaluate" an installation.  She came up
with a plan of 31 panels, at a cost that I felt was on the high side (to say
the least) and a 20 year loan with a higher interest rate than I expected!!!
She submitted her findings to the company, and several days later a
'technician" arrived to check out the roof and verify what the chick told me
they could do.  I went up on the roof with him, and he told me I wasn't suppose
to be up there with him!!!  Told him it was my damn roof, and if I wanted to be
up there, that was my prerogative.  He relented, but told me to stay out of the
pictures he was going to take (fair enough - I'm not that photogenic anyway).
 First thing he told me was a section of the roof where I wanted 3 panels was
too steep for their employees to work on (scratch three panels).  When he was
finished, he told me he would submit his plan to the engineering dept for their
final approval.
The next thing I got was a call from the sales chick who came out the first
time; sad news, scratch the 11 panels on the garage because (get this),  their
"ace professional engineer" (must have graduated last in his class at Podunk
Univ) said the roof on the garage would not hold the weight of the solar panels
because  the additional weight of the Glen Martin Engineering 8 Foot  RT-832
roof mounted tower weighing a whopping 32 POUNDS, the Yaesu G-5400 AZ- EL rotor
(20 Pounds), the M2 2MCP14 (6 Pounds, M2 436CP30 (5 Pounds), and the weight of
a 5 ft aluminum mast and 10 ft fiberglass cross boom (weight - at most 15
Pounds - probably less).   So, he was telling me the additional 80 POUNDS on
the roof was going to be too much weight on the roof!!!!!!!   O well, maybe it
was the weight of the coax (that I didn't add in) was the final blow?
I told the chick exactly what I thought of there PE Dept; and the idiots must
not have any idea of what was on the roof (80 lbs of aluminum!).   She did get
back a few days later and told me the PE Dept agreed with my assessment (not
they were a bunch of idiots, but at least the part where the roof would have no
problem holding an additional 80 lbs).  I put them on hold until I looked at
more estimates, and eventually cancelled out with them.
I found a local company, and they had no problem with 30 panels (he dropped one
because of too much shade), and no problem with the three on the one section of
roof.So, I have solar (30 panels producing 8.25 KW) with micro inverters on
each panel.  Am using SolarWorld SW275 panels and Enphase M250-60-2LL-S22
inverters.
Total price was just under $29,000 divided into two loans.  The first was
$8,100 interest free loan for the first year; to be payed off with the income
tax refund of 30% of the cost of the system.  The remain loan was a 12 year
long just under $29,000 at 2.99%.  This is/was a much better deal than what
Solar City offered!

Additionally, I had to move the Glen Martin tower to the edge of the garage to
make room for all the panels;  and the guy helped me move the system to the
place where it would not interfer with the installation of the panels!!
System has been in for a year, and producing 93% of what was calculated
(calculations based on weather data).
Bottom line, I would check out local small companies that are not bound by all
kinds of nit picky rules and restrictions, numerous levels of management and
depts that all up the price they must charge to pay all the worker bees.
Dick, K8ZTT.