I have a K3 that lost communication with my computer. It uses an Elecraft serial-to-USB converter and cable. This probably happened during a known power surge. I also lost communication to my MDS rotor, which uses a built-in USB cable, which I believe may also be a serial-to-USB arrangement. I checked things out a bit, and I can tell that my USB ports all seem to work. I also tried the K3 with another computer and was unable to communicate with it. However, I also tried a direct serial-to-serial cable from the K3 to the first computer, which has a serial port, and was also unable to communicate. I am now unsure of the location of the problem. I am willing to go with whatever works.

Is there a way for me to test the serial-to-USB converter and cable by itself, or otherwise determine whether it is working?

73,
Jan, KX2A