The solar cycle originated thanks to fruitcake [Fc]. All the fruitcake in the universe was created at the Big Bang, along with a lot of hydrogen [H] and some helium [He]. The hydrogen and helium began to float upward of course ... think Goodyear or Hindenburg ... but the Fc, being the densest thing in the universe began to gather the H and He into massive clumps using its gravity.

When the hydrogen became dense enough around the fruitcake, it began to fuse -- two H --> one He. The helium atom weighed just a bit less than the two hydrogen's which showed up as a lot of energy which heated the clump until it began to emit light and other stuff [a technical term used by astrophysicists]. Eventually two He began to fuse producing one lithium [Li] atom and a lot more energy. This of course was the beginning of laptop and cell phone batteries -- and Tesla.

This continued until almost all of the H and He was iron [Fe]. There was also the fruitcake of course, nothing fuses with fruitcake. To fuse two Fe atoms would produce negative energy which hadn't been invented then, so with nothing left to do, the clump exploded and that was the first solar cycle.

All that fusing produced heavier elements which drifted around in space and eventually formed more hot, bright clumps with fruitcake at the center. Some atoms were aluminum [Al] which formed into vast sheets called Reynolds Wrap [Rw], and which had an affinity for the Fc, wrapping itself around the Fc like Glad Wrap wraps around everything in the kitchen but the dish you're trying to cover. That's how we find fruitcake today.

With the heavier elements, the hot bright clumps settled into a pattern of occasional explosions or semi-explosions, and that became the solar cycle we know, love, and anxiously wait for.

There is a Conservation of Fruitcake law. You can't destroy it. You can give it away, however it is nearly uniformly distributed in the universe and likely will come back at some point, usually around Christmas.

Many things have a half-life ... the time it takes for half of it to disappear or morph into something else. The half-life of both disco and leisure suits was blessedly short. The half-life of fruitcake is forever.

Eat your heart out, NOVA.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Rocket Scientist