The P3 is excellent for HF but its "point and click" facility is far too
slow to catch fleeting openings on 6m.

To keep watch on the 6m beacons, CW and SSB requires a frequency span of
at least 200kHz - and wherever a station may appear, you need to jump
onto that frequency *immediately*. For a 6m DXer, that is the practical
test case.

A mouse can point-and-click accurately at the opposite side of the
screen within 2-3 seconds, almost independent of the size of the jump.
If a station is calling CQ and you're using a mouse, you can probably
arrive in time to catch the callsign - so if it's a new one, you can be
the first to answer. But the P3 requires a button-press before you can
even begin to twiddle the small knob, and then it takes at least an
order of magn... oh never mind, the station's gone. The P3 fails that
practical test by a wide margin.

Having suffered that scenario too many times, when I purchased a second
K3 for use mostly at VHF I decided not to buy either a P3 or a KRX3.
There are far better possibilities using conventional SDRs with computer
displays that have the *true* point-and-click facility.

After some experimentation the 2m station now uses an SDR at the
transverter IF, 28MHz, which is where the front-end gain and SNR are the
highest (the SNR at the K3 IF port is not as good, which is very
noticeable with weak signals). The SDR-IQ, Funcube Dongle Pro+ and
SDRplay all gave comparably good waterfall displays but the SDRplay has
the major advantage that the frequency span can be expanded beyond the
more usual limit of 192kHz. For example, European VHF/UHF contests
require 250kHz for full coverage - and those extra kHz are important,
because stations do spread out to the extreme edges of the range.

Integration with logging software is obviously vital. At present I am
using Eterlogic's VSPE port emulator to provide a additional USB links
to the HDSDR program and to N1MM+. HDSDR offers the valuable option of
the Winrad waterfall palette which is specifically optimized for finding
weak signals, and it automatically recognises the K3's transverter
offset and allows single-click QSY of either VFO A or VFO B. If HDSDR is
linked to VFO B, the K3's VFO B knob can then be used to tune the SDR.
All the other functions of the K3 remain unaffected, so the SDR is
effectively behaving as a second receiver. A simple switch allows the
audio output from HDSDR to be fed into the RH earphone, effectively
replacing the KRX3 for SO2V operation. Meanwhile N1MM+ automatically
keeps track of all events, and can provide voice and CW keying in the
normal way.

This setup is still in the experimental stage, not yet ready for a full
cookbook description, but it is showing geat promise. None of this is
new, but it was new to me  (special thanks to GM4JJJ for pointing me in
the right direction and making it click). Above all, it does seem to
meet the *practical* requirements for VHF/UHF DXing and contesting.

73 from Ian GM3SEK