Rick,

You are correct, an amplifier without low pass filtering will generate harmonics - unless it is a *very* expensive instrumentation amplifier - you might find one in a test lab, but most likely not in a ham station.

It is not legal to *sell* those kind of amplifiers in the US (and I assume many other countries). However, an amateur can purchase one of these and add his own low pass filters and that is entirely legal. Any amateur radio station in the US must assure that his transmitted signal is clean and meets FCC requirements. The amateur is individually responsible for the quality of the signal he transmits. Anyone who has passed his amateur exam should know that. For that reason, I will not allow my call to be used at Field Day unless they also use my transceiver(s).

73,
Don W3FPR