Rick,

You have been getting very good answers. You are right, the internal ATU helps match the rig to the antenna and/or loss is negligible when you feed the antenna directly or with low loss line (open wire).

However, I have operated with bad setups and still made contacts. I actually used a low 80m inverted vee (20' at center, 6' at the ends) on 160 and made a few digital contacts. I figure that antenna was 1% efficient and 99% loss! And I used a similar 40m inverted vee on 30m and managed to work a VK station via JT-65. IDK maybe that setup was 25% efficient.

A modern rig with an ATU makes the rig more like the boatanchors of the past that were more flexible in what they load. My old Viking II will load just about anything and I tried some pretty terrible pieces of wire for antennas. The only thing it ever failed to load was a 3 ft metal fishing pole....on 160m!

73,
Ken WA8JXM