Martin Gillen wrote: "I'm just curious - did you have the 30m option already
installed, and was
it easy to unsolder it?  If so, did you use solder braid or a plunge vacuum
desoldering tool?  How did that go?"

Although I purchased a 30m kit at the time I got the KX1 and KXAT1, I never did
get around to installing it.  However, if you are concerned about desoldering,
you should know that the new 80 & 30 meter kit does require desoldering a few
components from the KX1 board, in addition to removing the existing 30m kit.
(Only one of the removed parts gets re-used and in this case Elecraft supplies
a spare in case you destroy it).  The desoldering is not difficult, but does
require some care.  Elecraft recommends using a good vacuum desoldering tool.
I got by using some very small (0.1" wide) solder wick; however this is risky.

73,

Chuck  NI0C
KX1 s/n 1287