On Mon,9/5/2016 11:17 AM, J.K. Hooper wrote:
What factors might be at work that result in this phenomenon?

Hoop,

I've encountered this as well. There are two problems (at least). The strong, intermittent birdies are probably caused by a flaky shield connection in the coax cable between the P3 and the radio. Wiggle that cable at both connectors (and make sure that the connectors are tight) and they should go away. If they don't, replace the cable.

There are weaker birdies that show up on a quiet band -- I see them a LOT on 6M, and they are a PITA when you're trying to use the P3 to look for weak CW signals when the band is trying to open for double-hop E-skip. Band noise will cover them if you have a high noise level. They move in the opposite direction of the VFO, and they move much faster than the VFO. I suspect they are the result of circuit layout issues within the radio.

73, Jim K9YC