I finally was able to get my upgraded K-3 to recognize my K-3 utility via USB.
I deleted the utility from my computer and reloaded it, then left the K-3 with
the power disconnected over night.  This morning I connected the USB cable to
the computer and then started it. I waited to make sure it was recognized by
the computer.  I then connected it to my K-3 with the power still off. I
connected the power cable and started the utility.  When I turned the K-3 on,
it connected with the utility and I was able to use it. There must have been
something corrupted in the system.  Everything works as it should now and the
upgrades have also helped the K-3.  Thanks to everyone for the advise given.

PSent from my iPad