This is very good advice. My TXEQ settings are similar -- I'm using more low cut and about half as much HF boost.

My friend Fred, K6DGW, has severe hearing loss, probably a result of his military service. Knowing my experience in pro audio, he asked my advice for his K3. I recommended RXEQ settings with extreme low cut below about 800 Hz and extreme boost above that frequency. He says it works well for him. His hearing loss is so severe that he probably would not hear distortion if it were present.

73, Jim K9YC

On Tue,9/20/2016 6:26 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
On 9/20/2016 7:59 AM, brian wrote:
> I seem to recall this advice (from Elecraft?):
Use the attenuation sides of the equalizers and not the gain side if
at all possible.

Yes, this came from Lyle, KK7P who designed the DSP.

> This begs the question.  If gain is bad to use, then why is it (up to
> +16 db) included as a choice.  Why not limit it to some small value?

His commend was not to use large values of boost across the passband.
one band of significant boost should not be an issue unless it is in
the middle of the passband.  For example, I have experimented with
some rather aggressive high frequency boost profiles (-16, -16, -6,
0, 0, 6, 10, 12) without apparent problem but aggressive mid-range
boost (-16, -16, 0, 10, 10, 10, 13, 15, 16) results in obvious
distortion.