Howard,

How is the K3S RS-232 menu parameter configured.
If you are using the internal USB port in the K3S, it should be set to "USB"
If you are using an external USB to serial adapter, set the parameter to 38400.

The COM port that is assigned by your PC should be the one you need to use.
A side-note - if you always plug to the same computer USB port, that COM port number should stay the same, but if you plug into a different USB port, the COM number will likely change. Such is the state of things with the computer OS and we have to live with it.

For the PTT, the same COM port can be used for both rig control and PTT. Set the K2 CONFIG menu PTT-KEY parameter to agree with your application - PTT will be driven with either RTS or DTR - the application and the K3 must agree on which one is used.

73,
Don W3FPR