Two thoughts on this . . .

One is about a book published some years ago titled “Who Moved My Cheese!”  It
was aimed at a business management audience, with the message that when the
cheese is in a different place, it really doesn’t make sense to go back to
where it used to be and try to amanage as if it’s still there.  A short book,
and a great read.

The other, which has been exaggerated but the core of which rings true, is
about the development of the typewriter and its use by law firms in the late
1800s.  A central character in the practice then was the scrivener, the human
predecessor to the typewriter whose professional self-worth retarded adoption
of the then-new technology for half a generation.  Equally a part of our
legends are senior partners in the so-called silk stocking firms who admonished
their young clerks that while they might use that typewriter thing for whatever
their own purposes were, when the clerk wrote to THAT lawyer’s clients, the
letter would be written by hand and absolutely nothing else.

To this day some of us – including yours truly – still like the feel and smell
of buckram.  And of CW generated in the old way that we could watch happening
in the red glow of the plate in the 6146.  And in our mire still think it quite
magical that A to D conversion actually works.

All of which is admittedly OT; but the bands are closed for the night.

Atavistically,

Ted, KN1CBR

Edward A. Dauer
Dean Emeritus and Professor Emeritus of Law
University of Denver

    Message: 21