Did not one of the Yaesu rigs have an balanced XLR connector? I had this exact conversation with Bob Heil at Dayton a few years back

Rich

K3RWN

> why does ham gear use non-standard interconnects?

Ham gear does not use "non-standard interconnects."  Nearly every
*communications* device ever made uses an unbalanced audio (mic)
input - whether is be the old tube gear with their high impedance
(think D-104 or Shure-444) mics or modern solid state gear with
the low impedance inputs.

Only broadcast and recording gear use balanced inputs with or without
high voltage phantom power for condenser mics.  Even general purpose
public address systems tend to use unbalanced mic connections.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV