The Lithium family of battery chemistries all drop in voltage as battery capacity is used. At lower voltages, the KX2 IMD goes up, so the firmware reduces power output to maintain a clean signal.

The choices seem to be:

  Keep going with 5W and enjoy QRP.
  Pack up the radio, go home, and enjoy a beverage of your choice.
  Use an external battery pack.

Other chemistries, like NiCd and NiMH, tend to hold their output voltage longer into the discharge cycle. They might be a better, although heavier, choice for an external battery pack.

73 Bill AE6JV