Thanks Bill.  The fuse in the cigarette lighter is 15A.  I think only a 50 W
amplifier is workable.
73
Johnny VR2XMC

      寄件人︰ Bill Frantz <fra...@pwpconsult.com>
 收件人︰ Johnny Siu <vr2...@yahoo.com.hk>
副本(CC)︰ Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
 傳送日期︰ 2016年10月19日 (週三) 10:15 PM
 主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] operating HF / KX3 in a Tesla Model S

On 10/19/16 at 9:02 PM, elecraft@mailman.qth.net (Johnny Siu via
Elecraft) wrote:

>I am thinking operating my KX3 in my Tesla and have some questions:
>1.  Is it ok to direct drain DC supply from the cigarette
>lighter socket since there is no ignition system in the Tesla?

You will be drawing less than 4 amps, so the lighter socket
should work fine. If you decide to add the 100W amp, then
running dedicated wires will probably be the correct choice. I
would want to know more about the 12V supply in the Tesla before
running them. Perhaps the car manual has some advice.

>2.  The body of Tesla is aluminium alloy (if I am correct.
> How can I ground a mobile whip to the car body?

Grounding techniques should be the same as for steel. Do be
aware of the corrosion issues when different metals are in
contact. Aluminium corrodes easily, so having a sacrificial
piece of metal to protect the car body may be a good idea.
Perhaps a piece of aluminum bonded to the car body with copper
or brass bonded to it. (My electro-chemistry is a bit rusty.)
Then that piece of aluminum will corrode and can be easily
replaced. Also think about the materials for any screws/bolts
used for the bonding.

73 Bill AE6JV

Bill Frantz        |"We used to quip that "password" is the most common
408-356-8506      | password. Now it's 'password1.' Who said
users haven't
www.pwpconsult.com | learned anything about security?" -- Bruce Schneier