On 11/4/2016 3:59 PM, dm...@nexicom.net wrote:

I recently installed the TX monitor in my P3 and have a discrepancy with
the SWR reading between it and the K3

with a dummy load connected the P3 and K3 read 1.12 and 1.0
respectively   a level of error that is to me quite acceptable.

however  when connected to an antenna  I will see the SWR on the K3
often close to 1:1   when the P3 will show up to a 1:2.   as the SWR
climbs above 1:2 on the P3  the K3 reading will track it fairly closely
but about a level of 1 below.  example
K3 1:1  P3 1:2,
K3 1:1.5  P3 1:2.5
K3 1:2   P3 1:3   and so on

Note that this is done with the KAT3  bypassed of course.

it made me wonder which is correct.   so I put in a meter.   old but
faithfull KW electronics meter seems to track much closer to the P3's
reading  which makes sense since the chances that my dipole would have a
wide are at a solid 1:1 match before climbing as I move away from
resonance  makes me wonder if the K3's SWR readings are out of
calibration and if this can be adjusted.     my concern is that I may be
excepting the SWR from the KAT3  when it may be in fact a little too
high for the amps safety.

The power readings from both seems to be quite close.

Any thoughts?

Well, as an over-thinker who regularly got advice from his Troopers to "Stop picking fly poop** out of the pepper," I don't think you have a problem. I think I understand there's no "antenna tuner" in your circuit, a little confusing toward the end.

First off, you're not likely to hurt an Elecraft radio with high SWR, and none of what you mentioned is actually anywhere near "high." Secondly, none of the "SWR measuring instruments" you or I have are overly accurate. I've got 5, of various provenance -- into a Bird Termaline, they all differ by as much as 0.5 to 0.9 ... and they vary by frequency. Sounds to me like you have a well matched antenna.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Sparks NV DM09dn

- Northern California Contest Club