With an end fed 1/4 wave you only need a counterpoise that is about .05
wave length.  it can be the coax or another counterpoise.  Although a
counterpoise has some effect on radiation pattern of a quarter wave
radiator, it is minimal.   You won't see much improvement in performance
by going above .05 wave length..  it's not worth the trouble to increase
the counterpoise length..   Fred

--
Fred Moore
email: f...@fmeco.com