Steve,
You can download free acoustic spectrogram software that will run on a PC;
at least it is free for ten-day use. I run the KX1 audio out into my PC
microphone input. There is a link to the spectrogram software on the
Elecraft website. It is commonly used to peak a K2. It works great to peak
the KX1 receiver trimmer capacitors also (so does an AC voltmeter).

My KX1 filter peaks are noticeable on narrow settings. I used the
Visualization software and characterized my receiver response as follows
(- 6 dB low frequency, peak frequency, - 6 dB high frequency):

Filter setting  -6dB Low F              Peak Audio F    -6dB High F

Maximum         159 Hz          592 Hz          1214 Hz
1.0                     259 Hz          500 Hz          697 Hz
0.5                     321 Hz          442 Hz          554 Hz
Min                     337 Hz          444 Hz          516 Hz

You can see in the data that the 6dB down points on the minimum bandwidth
filter setting is less than 200 Hz wide and is more than 1 KHz wide at
maximum setting, quite noticeable to the ear.

I am not experienced with filter design but I notice that the filter uses
varactor tuning of the second and third stages of the crystal filter.
Varactor tuning looks like it should bend the resonance of the second two
stages lower. So the end effect should lower the frequency of the central
peak of the total response as the filter is narrowed.
On mine the peak moves from approximately 600 Hz (filter design point) down
to less than 450 Hz. I can lose a weak signal if I zero beat (600 Hz offset)
and then narrow the filter. I have to use RIT to then peak it again at a
lower offset.

Because of the effect of needing to retune on narrower filter settings, I
made a small modification to my BFO. I paralleled a 10pf capacitor across
C13 to create a lower offset, around 500 Hz. I now zero beat at 500 Hz and
have acceptable signal at all filter settings.

I can hear very strong signals on the opposite side band; I have not
measured the rejection on my unit but I find it acceptable.

When I think back to my Novice days in 1969, this is a much better receiver
than the Heathkit HR10 I had in those days. Elecraft did a nice job.

Mike Scott

Tarzana, CA
Phone (818) 708-9722