Wayne,

Thanks for posting this! Since the KX2 is my first SDR, it never occurred to me to try the preamp on 80 meters. In fact I was very happy running with the preamp off, attenuator off, and RF gain set between about -3dB and -6dB. This morning I was listening to FK8DD, and found I could copy him much better with preamp on, and RF gain at -10 dB, attenuator still off..

BTW, I really like the AGC on the KX2, and often find myself trying to adjust my K3 so it sounds as good as the KX2.

73,

Chuck Guenther  NI0C

Quote from N6KR:

"First thing to check is to make sure the preamp is on, and the attenuator
turned off. Both are selected using the PRE switch. The KX2 is an SDR, and typically
such rigs have about -120 dBm MDS with preamp off, and -135 dBm with preamp on. This
can make a huge difference on a quiet band.

The dynamic range is good enough that you can probably leave the preamp on all
or most of the time.

Let me know if your received signals are still down after turning on the
preamp. If that doesn't fix it, you could have APF turned on (very narrow audio
peaking filter), or NR turned on (noise reduction), or you could have a problem
with a bandpass filter, etc.

73,
Wayne
N6KR"