The local oscillator on the XV222 will not generate a sufficient
signal level. The voltage measured at TP1 is 0.45VDC.

When first tested, TP1 read 0VDC. Seeing posts about a balky
oscillator being sensitive to L4A,  I adjusted the slug while watching
at TP1.  Sure enough, as the slug was adjusted, TP1 rose from 0VDC to
4.5VDC and then started back toward 0VDC as I continued to turn the
slug into L4A.

I backed out the slug until TP1 read its maximum of 0.45VDC and then
continued out until the voltage at TP1 returned to 0VDC.

When oscillating, the frequency measures at 193.995, which is well
within the accuracy of my frequency counter.

I checked all components and voltages at Q1 & Q2, everything was
correct.

I'm sure there are some clues buried in the above observations, but
I'm unable to sort them out.  Does anyone have any clue as to how I
get the voltage at TP1 up over 1.0VDC?

PS

I know we are suppose to use non-metallic tools to adjust inductor
slugs, but L4A is so tight that the adjusting tool that came with the
kit is useless, its nylon shoulders promptly rounded off.  Having
spare slugs, I tried adjusting L4A slug with a thin metal screwdriver.

Do we use non-metallic because

1. metallic screwdrivers will physically damage the slug?
2. metallic screwdrivers will magnetize the slug?
3. metallic screwdrivers affect the readings while adjusting?
4. other?

I do have spares from L10, L11 & L19, so I can replace the slug if
needed.