Tom,

The K3 and K3S 100 watt versions have a circuit breaker - that is the round thing with the white center on the back panel of the KPA3. The lower power circuits are protected by a resettable fuse. So the K3 is capable of protecting itself from overcurrent.

That being said, there is always the danger of a short or other fault in the DC wiring that can cause excessive current in the power wire which can spew molten metal around causing injury to anyone nearby or starting fires. IMHO, any power supply that does not have overcurrent protection should have a fuse located near the power source - that is especially true of batteries which can source an enormous amount of current.

That fuse near the power supply is not necessarily for protection of the equipment, but rather it is for protection of your home and family.

73,
Don W3FPR