Ken, "...two of the original speakers..." means you built them or Bill built them for you or you mean the "original" Sky-Tec?  I've tried it with the KX2 filter set all the way to 2.8.  Also tried it with my KX1 and the same low volume.

I don't understand this term "padding" but it was suggested to me in a post on the CW list that "most modern transceiver have headset outputs that are padded to protect hearing" and I thought that might have something to do with this low volume.

I really want to experience this phenomenal sound I've heard so much about!!!

73, Stan WB2LQF