On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

Beautiful obit for the KX1 Stan. Ops like you will remember it like us O.T.s remember our 6L6 crystal controlled oscillators built on a breadboard. Newer rigs do as well (sometimes better) but are never the same.

Whoa there, Ron!  Next week is my 68th birthday.  I ain't no kid!  My FIRST rig was a crystal controlled 50L6 fed doubled DC by a 50Y6 using one half of the line cord and a cold water ground.  It was called "The 22 Watt Monster" and it came out of a 1963 CQ Magazine.  Clearly, pre OSHA...

THAT is THE rig that earned me a QSL card from WA1BVN (clearly a SK by now) up near Boston who wrote on it, "Solid 579, Stan, you must have had your foot in a water bucket."

Oh, lest I forget - the antenna was my bedspring.  Remember when bed springs were real metal springs?  I lived in an apartment and couldn't have an antenna.  I'd heard about "loading a bed spring and, as a kid, I totally fell for it. Thank God for Pi Networks.  I ran that bed spring for several weeks until I discovered magnet wire.

Now THAT"S A MEMORY, Ron, right up there with my little KX1 and your 6L6 MOPA

73, Stan, WB2LQF