I have sat down at a 7300 and it is true that the front end has little
filtering. Additionally, If you have a loud station on CW with in 500hz of
the station you are trying to work, who is weak, the front in will be
de-sensed and the AGC will pump and your QSO will be over. Like most SDR
radios that do not have a Roofing filter ahead of the DSP processing,
selectivity, at best, is questionable. I tuned in to CWOPS CWT contest on
Wednesday evening session and realized that the 7300 is not a CW contest
grade radio. It is too menu deep, big finger unfriendly, for the most part
comparing it to the P3 the band scope on marginal to worthless, and the
less than 500 hertz selectivity for CW is lacking. These observations are
all based on having both the K3S and P3. Although, one thing that the 7300
shines is in its easy computer interfacing to run digital modes. This radio
is a great digital mode radio. If for no other reason, I would buy the 7300
and dedicate it to this mode. But, I don't do digital modes. When packet
radio first came out on HF, it just thought it was the beacon for the
Nation Tune Up Frequency. LOL

My only hope is that the Icom 7610 will address the above issues. When ever
it comes out, maybe Dayton time, that is a radio I want to play with. But
again, most likely it will be in the same dollar level as a K3S P3
combination. For the guy that is starting out in radio, the 7300 offers a
lot of value but learning the controls that are menu hidden rather than
easily adjustable knobs, may not be the best for a new ham to learn on.

My other radios are an Icom 746, Yeasu 450d, yeasu 718, Elecraft K1 4 band
with tuner and of course the K3S with P3 and THP 1.5 running through the
Kat500. Each of these radios has advantages. I am currently putting the
450d into my truck for mobile operation on SSB and to some extent, limited
CW work while mobile.

In the end, each radio has its limitations, but the major limitation is
always money. Buy the best you can afford, put up an efficient antenna and
just have fun. End of Story. The man who dies with the most toys may well
win, but, all the rest of us can still have tons of fun along the way.

Vy 73,
Morgan Bailey NJ8M