I too have come to that same surmise, Wes, and I hope whoever explains it [someone always does] does so on the reflector so I can benefit too. One of my K3's two AGC systems is highly configurable. I finally found a threshold and fairly flat slope that, for my compromised hearing works very well. I operate very little SSB, and I notice nothing I'd call "mush" on CW at narrow DSP bandwidths. If there are multiple signals in that BW, the strongest one sets the gain, and all the others respond accordingly.

I normally use AGC-F on CW. Occasionally, with a large difference in signal strengths, the gain reduction from the code elements of the stronger signal make copy of the weaker signal at a different pitch difficult. AGC-S almost always cures that issue.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County