Al, your paper looks very helpful for the situation when the concepts need
to be studied. After one has a reasonable understanding of the concepts, the
stituation that comes up now and then is wanting to change some of the AGC
parameters in the K3. I don't know about others, but I tend to forget the
direction of parameters such as AGC "slope". Do I want to increase or
decrease the number to achieve my intended result? That is not about
understanding the concepts, but simply about an arbitrary definition that
can be equally "right" whether it is one way or the other. There are many
other examples of K3 parameters that have names that don't fully describe
what they do. Of course, the parameter names must be (too) short because of
the display limitations. However, when one has a P3, that opens up a whole
different world in terms of graphic displays. It seems to me that something
like an AGC curve could be displayed graphically (as in your paper) right
when the parameter is being changed. That way one would not have to worry
about a detailed definition; just turn the knob and see the effect. The
graph would be made extra helpful by the fact that the actual noise level is
visible at the same time. No doubt other K3 parameters could become more
user-friendly if treated in a similar way.

73,

Erik K7TV