I have a 1500 watt alpha sitting in the corner. It is a great amp,
although, I don't like the clunky relays and the fan noise to cool the
tubes. Once in a while I like to not have to use cans to operate, but for
the most part I do use the headphones. After having the Alpha and SB 220,
and TenTec Titan amps the Alpha was the loudest. It is kind of an antique
and it is my only piece of boat anchor equipment that I own. I bought a THP
1.5kfx amp and I have been running it at 500 watts when ever I turn it on.
I can run it at 1k or 3db increase in power and from the other end there is
no change in the rx station report. I run CW 98% of the time. But the amp
is used on SSB for the rag chew on a local level and yes I use an amp to
talk across town on 40 meters just to keep the cursing hog farmers and
drunks from messing with us. It works well for that. People just stay away.
But it also attracts the casual drop by who joins the QSO and is welcome to
stay awhile.

500 watts for the last 3 years has been more than enough. It is easy to
hold a frequency in a contest with that power and it causes no
problems with neighbors. Since I only use balanced antennas, my RFI
problems have disappeared. I can run 1500watts with no problems or lights
going on and off and garage doors opening. It is nice to have some headroom
in an amp and that is what the THP gives me. It just loafs at 500 watts. I
run it on 220v and the panel lights don't even change intensity.

I would vote for a 1k amp by Elecraft but probably would only run it at 750
tops. And No I don't need 6 meters so a 160-10 would be great. After all,
Elecraft came out with the KX2 vs KX3 and did just that, 80-10 no 160 or 6,
and I am just fine with that. So if they made an amp with 160 - 10 then
that would be fine by me. It may be even as simple as saying with the
software that the KPA 500 if the software were to change and state 750
watts 160-10 and 500 on 6, heck I would be even happy with that.

Elecraft stuff just works and I am happy with that. I so want to pull the
trigger on the KX 2 or 3 and it temps me every time I visit the page to see
what new stuff has come out.

In the near future, like right now, SDR radios are going to dominate the
field and I really want to see what Wayne, has cooked up for dealing with
that issue. SO2R is the wave of the future in contesting and K9CT is the
poster boy for the Flex 6700 and Maestro interface when it comes to
contesting. He sold all of his K3/P3 stations and has a full compliment of
Flex. Maybe, if Elecraft made a great interface that would work with the
K3S/N1MM then that is an area that should be explored for SO2R.

Every thing is contingent on market share and perceived value. Face it K3
owners are rather an elite crowd. First we are buying radios, when fully
equipped are nearing the $4k mark and from a cosmetic stand point of view,
they are not pretty on the out side. Utility is everything for us, and
simply the K3 works.

In the end, if Elecraft made a better amp than the KPA 500, I would
probably buy it. Maybe even 2 of them for my station conversion to SO2R.

I know guys that buy 2 KPA500.KTA500 for running SO2R with the Flex
6700/maestro set up. It works well for them. Once I retire, I will probably
do the same and run 2 k3s with them. It is the logical solution for me,
especially since I love the quiet relays/pin diode switching and the almost
silent fans when running hard with the KPA500.

Vy 73,

Morgan Bailey NJ8M