To add to my thoughts on new Elecraft QRO amp's in a new system
architecture:

Amp modules could be produced in multiple generations as RF power transistor
technology evolves. I envision models capable of 500, 750 or 1000 W pep, and
it should be possible to combine up to 4 modules for use with any one
virtual radio.

A virtual radio could be a physica radio like a K3/K3S, or it could be truly
virtual, based on an ADC working with signals at on-the-air frequency.

In the scenario of multiple amp modules working in parallel, external tuners
are mandatory. However an amp module could have space inside for an internal
tuner option.
There could be a weatherization option that allows such an amp module to be
mounted outdoors. Remember, every amp module is built for remote control
rather than front panel controls. One amp module using KPA500 technology
would cost a little less than an actual KPA500 with its fancy front panel.
There would be an upgrade/addon that would make the KPA500 able to play the
role of one of the new amp's based on KPA500 technology and capabilities.

If you forgive me for the antropomorphic approach, the persona of a "display
module" might present itself as follows:
" Hi, in my old job I used to be a panadapter. I would be the team member
doing everything related to panadapter work, but not much else. Well,
recently I have accepted some additional tasks such as transmitter
monitoring and user interface for communications. In my new job, I make my
hardware resources (display and processing power) available to serve any
capability the team wishes to implement, and even multiple simultaneous
capabilities." That attitude of serving multiple purposes would exist in
other modules as well.

73,
Erik K7TV