Ed,

The KX3 "wrap-under" heatsink is adequate for most modes. However if you are using data modes with long transmit periods at power levels above 7 or 8 watts, you might want to consider an aftermarket heatsink.

Give it a try and feel the heatsink after several transmission periods. It will be warm, but you should be able to hold your hand on the heatsink without discomfort. That is always a good test for OK vs. Too Hot.

73,
Don W3FPR