W3FPR's answer (below) to S-meter settings triggered a question:  The manual
says to set the AGC to 3.80 V, which I have done, but if I wanted to set it
for "optimum receiver performance", as Don suggests, which way and how far
do I go?

"I usually use the XG1 and check the S-meter with the preamp off on 40
meters - if the AGC Threshold is set for optimum receiver performance, and
CAL S Hi and Lo are set the S-meter usually comes right in at S-9 with the
preamp off."

Thanks,

Bob K5WA

K2/100s #4687 & #5119