Hi all,

I have a lot of firmware in progress on several different radios, but the idea
of having two sets of ATU data was irresistible, so I added it to the KX2 to
try it out. I’ll port it to the KX3, too.

There’s now a menu entry called ATU DATA, with two selections:  SET 1 and SET
2. Each provides ATU settings for all bands (up to 32 segments per). I’m using
SET 1 for home and SET 2 for field operation.

I also changed the way the CLR function (OFS knob hold) works. Now, if you’re
in either the ATU DATA or ATU MD menu entries, holding CLR only clears the
network values for the *presently selected* ATU data set (on the present band).
Thus you can arrive at your campsite, etc., select SET 2, then do a CLR on each
band if you’d like, without messing up your SET 1 data.

(Doing a CLR is a good idea with any new antenna on a given band. With fairly
low-Q antennas, you may then only have to do an ATU tune at the middle of each
band. The ATU always uses data for the closest of the 32 segments on each band
that has non-zero data, even if there’s just one segment pre-tuned.)

To verify that the ATU DATA feature working, I added another new function.
While you’re in the ATU DATA or ATU MD menu entries, you can tap “ATU” to see
the present LC network values. It’s a little cryptic but still useful. The
format is Lxx.Cxx.Nx, where:

    Lxx or Cxx = L or C relay settings in hexadecimal
    Nx = Network C in/out relay setting, either A = antenna side of inductor,
or T = TX side.

Someone armed with the KXAT2 schematic could write a little program that
converts xx into microhenries and picofarads. I’d do it myself if I had the
spare time.

If anyone else would like to give the new firmware a whirl, please email me
directly.

73,
Wayne
N6KR